Virginia Tech®home

International Shipping

General Information

The university may be required to obtain an export license from the Commerce Department or State Department for shipments of commodities, software, and proprietary technology outside of the United States. Failure to obtain the appropriate license or other government approval, or failure to file correct export documentation or shipping documents can result in severe fines and other penalties.

The Office of Export and Secure Research Compliance (OESRC) can help you be certain your export is in compliance with export and sanction laws, and has correctly filed export and shipping documentation.

Shipping tangible items outside of the United States may require an export license.

We will be happy to assist you in preparing your shipping documents... contact usThis office provides the following shipping-related services:

  • Commodity jurisdiction and classifications

  • Export license preparation and submission

  • Electronic Export Information (EEI) preparation and submission

  • Obtain ECCN, Schedule B and HTCS number

However, this office is not a shipping department. This office does not:

  • Arrange for your freight forwarder to pay the freight to ship the items; for these matters, coordinate through your department contact

  • Advise on or determine customs duties, tariffs, or international tax issues; for these matters, contact your freight forwarder

  • Advise on import documentation matters (other than munitions import licenses)

  • Resolve international customs shipment issues not related to export compliance (e.g., shipment impounded not for export reasons)

  • Issue carnets

  • Execute customs power of attorney; for sponsored programs, contact Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP).  For non-OSP shipments, contact Office of University Legal Counsel (ULC)

United States Government Organizations responsible for shipping-related regulations

U.S. Department of State

The university is registered, through this office, with the U.S. Department of State and has authorized access to D-Trade, the State Department’s fully electronic defense trade licensing system. We can prepare license requests for your export or temporary import of ITAR-restricted defense articles, their associated technical data, and software.

U.S. Department of Commerce

The university is registered, through this office, with the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Simplified Network Application Process Redesign (SNAP-R) online exporter web application. This office can assist you in the preparation and filing of any export licenses or commodity classification requests that need to be obtained from the U.S. Department of Commerce.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

The university is registered with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Automated Export System (AES). As a registered AES shipper, this office can prepare and submit your export and shipping documentation to Customs for shipments regulated by either the Commerce Department or State Department.

Customs, Exports and Electronic Export Information (EEI) Forms

An electronic AES filing of an Electronic Export Information (EEI) is required by U.S. Customs and Border Protection for all shipments headed outside the U.S., except to Canada, that exceeds $2,500 in value per Schedule B number.

An EEI is required for most exports of merchandise valued at more than $2,500 from the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands to foreign countries or between the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States. The AES filing is also required for all exports under the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) or State Department export license or license exception/exemption regardless of the value unless the export is temporary and hand carried or exported in your personal baggage under a "tools of trade" license exception.

For more information about hand carrying “tools of trade” please view our Temporary Export (TMP) Certification.

For more information on correctly completing your EEI, the U.S. Census Bureau has prepared a brochure: Correct Way to File the EEI.