Incident Reporting Contacts
UBO - Charlotte Waggoner: primary method: 540-320-5864 | secondary method: email@example.com
ABO - Chris Wakley: primary method: 540-320-2089 | secondary method: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABO - Anna Kroner: primary method: 540-525-8574 | secondary method: email@example.com
- As soon as any initial response is complete and incident is stable, immediately notify the lab director and/or lab manager, the animal facility or greenhouse manager (if applicable), and the University Biosafety Officer (UBO).
- The UBO will acknowledge receipt of notification via email (to document notification) to the reporting person and other appropriate personnel.
- NOTE: If UBO does not acknowledge receipt of notification within two (2) hours, notify an Associate Biosafety Officer (ABO).
- If email is not available, the UBO/ABO will acknowledge receipt via phone call to the reporting person and other appropriate personnel.
- Reporting person and lab director/ lab manger/animal facility manager must complete Virginia Tech Lab Incident Report and submit it to the UBO/ABO via email immediately. The lab incident report can be downloaded at Virginia Tech Lab Incident Report.
- UBO/ABO will acknowledge receipt of the report via email.
- UBO/ABO will complete the appropriate state and/or federal reporting forms and submit them to the NIH and/or CDC, as applicable.
- If an injury or exposure has occurred, an Employer’s Accident Report must be completed immediately by the supervisor per directions found at http://www.hr.vt.edu/benefits/workerscomp/index.html.
- If the supervisor does not complete the report in a timely manner, injured/exposed individuals are encouraged to complete the report themselves. If a hard copy is completed rather than the online form, submit the hard copy to Teresa Lyons (firstname.lastname@example.org or MS 0318).
- If the incident involves recombinant/synthetic nucleic acids, modified animals, modified plants, and/or other modified organisms, the incident needs to be reported to the IBC (email@example.com) within 24 hours after the incident has occurred.