Useful References and Texts
American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM)
Anatomy / Necropsy of Rats and Mice
- Review of Rat Anatomy
- French-language website regarding mouse dissection
- UC Davis CT Scan Images
- Necropsy of the Mouse
- The Virtual Mouse Necropsy
- Pathology and Autopsy of a Mouse
- The Whole Mouse Catalog
Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC) Bibliographies
- Bibliographies and Resource Guides
Behavioral Research - Animal Welfare Concerns
- "Methods and Welfare Considerations in Behavioral Research with Animals; A Report of the National Institutes of Health" - Handbook to Provide Guidance to Institution IACUCs
Biological Safety in Animal Facilities
- "Occupational Health and Safety in the Care and Use of Research Animals" (ILAR, 1997)
- The National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory: Respirator and Other PPE Information Links
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 5th Edition, February 2007
Canadian Council on Animal Care
- "Guide to the Care and Use of Experimental Animals, Vol. I"
- "Guide to the Care and Use of Experimental Animals, Vol. II"
- USDA-APHIS-AC "Final Report on Environment Enhancement to Promote the Psychological Well-Being of Nonhuman Primates"
- University of California Center for Animal Alternatives bibliographies (cats, dogs, primates, rabbits, rodents)
- "The Psychological Well-Being of Nonhuman Primates" (ILAR, 1998)
- Euthanasia of Experimental Animals - Module 12: Study Chapter and Review Questions
- 2007 Report of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia
- University of Minnesota, Research Animal Resources: Review of acceptable procedures/methods.
Humane Endpoints other than "Death as an Endpoint"
- NIH - Guidelines for Endpoints in Animal Study Proposals
- Canadian Council on Animal Care - Guidelines on Choosing an Appropriate Endpoint in Experiments Using Animals for Research, Teaching, and Testing
- Humane Endpoints in Animal Experiments for Biomedical Research (Proceedings of the 1998 International Conference, Zeist, The Netherlands)
- Pain Management and Humane Endpoints Symposium (Proceedings of 1998 National Academy of Sciences symposium)
- ILAR Journal Vol. 41 (2) (Links to several papers on Humane Endpoints for Animals Used in Biomedical Research and Testing, 2000.)
- Humane Endpoints in Infectious Disease Animal Models
- Humane Endpoints for Laboratory Animals Used in Toxicity Testing
Silverman J, Suckow M, and Murthy S, eds. 2000. The IACUC Handbook. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. 538 pp.
Investigator / Staff Training
- IACUC - "Essentials for Animal Research - A Primer for Research Personnel"
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Learning Library
- Biomethodology of Laboratory Animals (University of Iowa) - Mouse, Rat, Rabbit, Guinea Pig
- NCI-Frederick Investigator and Animal User Training Course - Care and Use of Animals in Laboratory Research
- PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals Tutorial
In the Name of Science - Issues in Responsible Animal Experimentation. F. Barbara Orlans. Oxford Press, 1996. 312 pp.
Journals / Publications
- AALAS Publications: Comparative Medicine (formerly Laboratory Animal Science), JAALAS (formerly Contemporary Topics), Tech Talk, AALAS in Action
- Lab Animal
- Lab Animal Buyer's Guide - animals, equipment, services
- Laboratory Animals
- ILAR Journal
- The Institute for Laboratory Animal Research of the National Academies of Science
- Merck Veterinary Manual
Pain, Analgesia, and Anesthesia
- Recognition and Alleviation of Pain and Distress in Laboratory Animals. National Research Council. 1992. A report of the Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources Committee on Pain and Distress in Laboratory Animals. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press. 137pp.
- ILAR Journal Vol. 41(2), pp 62-71: Recognizing Pain and distress in Laboratory Animals, E. Carstens and G.P. Moberg, 2000.
- Pain and Distress in Mice, Rats and Rabbits: Responsibilities, Recognition and Alleviation
- Normative Data and Guidelines for Selection and Use of Anesthetics, Analgesics, and Tranquilizers in Laboratory Animals (Password Protected)
- Virtual Anesthesia Machine (VAM) web site
- Recognising Pain, Suffering and Distress
- Proceedings for Pain Management and Humane Endpoints Workshop
- Pain-Related Internet Resources for IACUCs - a Compilation of URLs
- Philosophical and Ethical Issues Concerning Pain
- Animal Welfare Act - Requirements for the Minimization of Pain and Distress
- Pain Management and Humane Endpoints: PHS Policy Perspective
- Arriving at a Biological Definition of Stress and Distress
- Implementing Assessment Techniques for Pain Management and Humane Endpoints
- Animal Welfare Perspectives on Pain and Distress Management in Research and Testing