Virginia Tech Research Administrator Program
About the Program
The Virginia Tech Research Administration Program, sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI), is a voluntary training program that consists of a total of 10 courses. This program is designed for all employees who currently perform duties related to research administration. Each course will be a comprehensive tutorial that will provide information pertinent to research administration at Virginia Tech. There are no prerequisites for participating in any of the workshops and those not pursuing the certificate of completion are not excluded from attending any of the workshops.
Participants who are pursuing the certificate of completion will be required to take a quiz for each workshop (except for Banner) and obtain a score of 100%. Participants can take the quiz multiple times as necessary.
Participants MUST complete the workshop AND the quiz for each workshop to receive the certificate of completion (testing out of the workshop will not be allowed).
A simple checklist has been created to assist you in tracking your progress through the program.
- Step 1: Enroll into the Level I program
- Step 2: Print the Level I Certificate Program Completion Checklist and complete as you progress through the program.
- Step 3: To register for a course, go to www.training.vt.edu, then view by category, click on the Office of the VP for Research, select the session you’re interested in and choose one of the available dates. We also have additional on-demand (ie. prerecorded) trainings available in Courseware. To register and access these prerecorded courses, go to www.training.vt.edu, then view by category, click on the “Office of the VP for Research,” select the session you’re interested in and choose one of the available dates. The course titles for our on-demand trainings are preceded by the acronym “OVPRI-Recording” but all course titles for our live trainings are preceded by the acronym “OVPRI.” You will receive an email confirmation for each enrollment.
- Step 4: Participants who are pursuing the certificate of completion will be required to take a quiz for each workshop (except for Banner) and obtain a score of 100% (Responsible Conduct of Research only requires a passing score). Participants can take the quiz multiple times as necessary. These quizzes are posted on the Virginia Tech Research Administrator Certificate Canvas site. Please see the How do I? section for instructions on accessing these quizzes.
- Step 5: Once you have completed the program please send a copy of this completed checklist along with your certificate of completion for Human Subjects Research Compliance and Responsible Conduct of Research to Quinn Steen at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions call 540-231-2336.
Research Administrator Update Workshops
Periodically OVPRI will conduct workshops outlining recent changes in the research administration field. Attending these workshops demonstrates your continued commitment to stay up to date with the rapidly changing research administration field. These workshops may be counted as an elective for your Level II Certificate upon approval.
Please contact Quinn Steen at email@example.com if you have any questions.