Animal Use Records

Why Keep Them?


Individual Records Needed for: Group Records (i.e. cage cards) Needed for:  
  • dogs

  • cats

  • horses

  • cows
  • pigs

  • sheep

  • goats

  • rabbits

  • guinea pigs
  • animals housed and treated as a group (i.e. mice and rats)


Acceptable formats include:

  • bound laboratory notebook

  • electronic (i.e. database such as excel)

  • three ring binder

Facilities/laboratories/researchers may develop their animal use records to suite their specific research needs/species. All animal health records should be maintained in close proximity to the animals.

For further requirements, please visit either Research Procedures or Animal Health Records

Remember if you do not write it down, it did not happen.