Virginia Tech is committed to ensuring research is conducted in a safe and ethical manner, and in compliance with pertinent laws, regulations, and guidelines. To assist with the achievement of this mission, Virginia Tech has adopted peer-review committees that specialize in ensuring compliance for specific areas.
The Office of Research Compliance (ORC) provides administrative support to Virginia Tech’s compliance committees responsible for reviewing and approving research involving humans and animals, and biohazardous agents. The ORC also assists researchers with the fulfillment of their responsibility for sustaining University compliance in these areas, which supports the continued permission from applicable federal agencies to conduct research at our institution.
The following committees are supported by the ORC:
Institutional Review Board (IRB) (i.e., human subjects)
- More information about the IRB
- More information about the IRB's Post Approval Monitoring (PAM) program which monitors research following approval
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- More information about the IACUC
- More information about the IACUC's Post Approval Monitoring (PAM) program which monitors research following approval
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
Use our Starting Point tool to help you determine the following:
- which research activities require review and approval by a designated compliance committee or safety office;
- what information/forms must be submitted to the specific compliance committee or safety office;
- where additional resource information can be found