Virginia Tech™home

International Travel

International Travel Links and Guidance

Presentations and discussions must be limited to topics that are not related to controlled commodities, software, or technology unless that information is already published or otherwise already in the public domain.

Verify that your technology or information falls into one or more of the following categories prior to travelling:

  • Research which qualifies as fundamental research

  • Published information

  • Publicly available software

  • Educational information

Do not take any commodities, software, or technology that fall into one of the following categories:

  • Classified, Controlled Unclassified, or Export Controlled

  • Limited Distribution, Proprietary, Confidential, or Sensitive

  • Specifically designed for military, intelligence, space, encryption software, or nuclear related applications

  • Data or information received under a Non-Disclosure Agreement

  • Data or information that results from a project with contractual constraints on the dissemination of the research results

  • Computer software received with restrictions on export to or on access by non-US Persons

Exportation of University Property

All Virginia Tech employees and students are subject to U.S. export and sanctions regulations. The physical export outside of the United States of university commodities, software or technology is subject to control under U.S. export control laws and regulations.

In most cases, university employees may take common items, software and technology subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) outside of the United States under a “No License Required (NLR)” declaration, so long as this property is not exported to the five Export Administration Regulations Country Group E locations (Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Sudan, and North Korea).

OESRC DOES NOT require notification for the temporary export to a non-sanctioned country of commercially available laptops, tablets and/or cell phones with standard commercially available software because no license is required. For export (temporary or permanent) of ANY OTHER types of university commodities, software or technology, please contact prior to your travel to ensure no export license is required. 

Published information, fundamental research, open source software, and other information in the public domain is not subject to these regulations and may be discussed and shared freely. 

We recommend that you do not export confidential/proprietary technical data as it may be subject to export control and may require an export license or other government approval. 

Loaner Laptops

Please be aware that a number of universities have reported installation of malicious software in employee computers when left unattended in foreign countries. To avoid any potential issues of data leaving the United States or contracting malicious software on your regular workstation, OESRC will loan you a clean laptop for the duration of your travel.  

Please submit the form below to make a request.  

An OESRC representative will contact you to understand your computing needs while on travel, set up the computer for you, and arrange a meeting to deliver the hardware. If you have reason to believe the computer you take with you (whether your workstation or the OESRC-loaner) has been compromised, please contact OESRC immediately. You will provide emergency contact information prior to your departure.  

For other travel advice, please see current FBI travel guidance at Best Practices for Academics Traveling Overseas at the bottom of the page.

Loaner Laptop Request

Travel Authorizations and Advisories

In accordance with the Controller’s Office Procedure 20335a: Travel Overview ALL international travelers (including presenters, students, visitors, and other business associates) whose travel expenses are to be charged to university public funds (e.g., sponsored programs, operating, various, etc.) are required to notify OESRC prior to the international travel. 

There are numerous ways to notify OESRC depending on the funding source or traveler. The primary and most common method of notification is a Pre-Approval through the Chrome River System, or a Travel Authorization (TA) through the Travel and Expense Management (TEM) System.  OESRC is automatically notified through these applications of any international travel. For foundation funded international travel, please send a copy of a Travel Estimate and Approval (TEA) form by fax to 231-7297, by campus mail to 0497 or by email to

Travel Advisories are provided by the Global Education Office  and/or OESRC for all international travelers upon notification through one of the above systems, or by contacting our office.

Restricted Parties

Restricted Party Screening (RPS) is an essential component of export compliance. RPS determines if the individuals and companies with whom you desire to do business are on any government issued restricted, blocked, or denied party lists. Request a restricted party screening for entities and individuals with whom you will be doing business!

During your travel, if you are contacted by one of these entities or individuals, please record as much information as you can about the incident and contact this office at or 1-6642.