External Activities That Generally Do Not Require Disclosure or Advance Approval Based on Policy 13010

The following are examples of activities that are not normally considered conflicts of interest. They are exempt from reporting requirements, unless they are so extensive in time and effort that they constitute a potential conflict of commitment.  

Please note that while the activities below generally do not require disclosure or advance approval based on Policy 13010, they may require travel approval or other approval from your department head, dean, or other unit supervisor.

There are special reporting requirements for researchers supported by grants and contracts funded by the Public Health Service (PHS). The value of travel paid for or reimbursed by most non-university entities must be reported, including most non-governmental organizations supporting professional activities listed below.  Click here for more information on travel reporting requirements for PHS researchers

  1. Preparing, publishing or presenting scholarly or creative works, including books, articles, and software, even if honoraria, stipends, or royalties may be provided. *Royalty payments from sources other than VTIP that meet or exceed the $5,000/year threshold should be disclosed.

  2. Participating at professional conferences for the purpose of making scholarly presentations, conducting seminars or workshops, even if paid an honorarium.

  3. Serving as a special reviewer or on a review panel for academic or governmental organizations, even if paid an honorarium.

  4. Serving as a reviewer or editor for a scholarly journal, even if financial consideration is provided.

  5. Receiving revenues generated by the successful commercialization of intellectual property through Virginia Tech Intellectual Properties, Inc.

  6. Earning income from passive investments such as interest or dividends from banks, mutual funds, or stocks and bonds.

Travel Disclosures for PHS Investigators:

For faculty members with PHS/NIH funding, reimbursed or sponsored travel paid for by an external entity must also be disclosed.   Disclosure includes at a minimum

  • the purpose of the trip

  • the identity of the sponsor or organizer

  • the destination

  • the duration  of the trip.

Disclosure is not required for travel reimbursed by the university from any source of university funds (e.g., departmental, foundation, sponsored project), or travel paid for (or reimbursed) by a federal, state, or local government agency, an institution of higher education, affiliated research institute, or academic teaching hospital. Special rules concerning reporting of travel apply to those employees who must complete the annual Commonwealth Statement of Economic Interest forms.