Research COI training is required every four years for the PI, co-I, project director, and any other person deemed responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of sponsored research. Exceptions include personnel or students whose research activities are directly supervised. If you are required to take research COI training, you will receive automated email notifications prompting you to do so.
Virginia Tech utilizes the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative Program (CITI) for research COI training, which takes approximately one hour to complete. Although the content is PHS/HHS-specific, Virginia Tech applies the same disclosure and management principles to all sponsored research, regardless of sponsor.
Click on the link above to access the CITI site. Instructions for accessing the training module can be found below.
How to Access Research COI Training in CITI
- Go to the CITI institutional login page.
- Note that if you accessed CITI by visiting citi.org, you will first have to select “Log In” and then “LOG IN THROUGH MY INSTITUTION”.
- Select “Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)” from the list.
- Select “View Courses” from the “Institutional Courses” menu.
- Click on “Add a Course” at the bottom of the page.
- Note that if you started but did not complete the “Research Conflict of Interest (COI) Training for Investigators” module, you will be able to select it from your “Active Courses” menu.
- Select “Research COI Training for Investigators” under Question 1 and then click “Submit” at the bottom of the page.
- Click “Start Now” in the “Courses Ready to Begin” menu.
- After you agree to the terms, you are ready to complete the two required training modules.
- Note that the refresher training, which is required every four years, is composed of four modules. The refresher course takes approximately 45 minutes to complete.
For technical concerns, contact CITI at email@example.com or 888-529-5929.
For questions about the training content or requirement, contact the Research COI Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-9376.